Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Marathon #16 - Vineman, 2009


I am a triathlete, and a large part of being a triathlete is transitioning from swim gear, to bike gear, and then to run gear, etc., but I am not very speedy with my transitions, and can easily admit that they are not my strong suit.  However, they are inevitable, the race is a “Tri”athlon, meaning three sports disciplines in one, so whether I like it or not, I have to go through transitions.  Currently, I am in a real life transition, and I like it just a little bit less than T1 and T2 on an Ironman course, but the finish line is on the other side, so I have to go through it.
This post will be celebrating my sixteenth marathon, and second ironman, Vineman 2009.  This race takes place near Sonoma in northern California, a good seven hour drive from my house, but still considered a “local” race in my mind because it lies within the boundaries of the Golden state.  I rented a house for a week along the Russian River for the whole Spates family to descend upon and have a real vacation.  There was fishing and canoe paddling for Marion and Hannah, and stress and worry for me in a beautiful place.  We arrived on a Tuesday, the race was the following Saturday, gulp.  My brother Peter came up the Friday night before the race to amp me up, while most of my extended family arrived on race day to cheer me on.  The swim and bike were beautiful, hard, bumpy, and foggy, but the real juice of the day was squeezed from the marathon, so here we go.
 

I rolled into the transition area from the 112 mile bike portion of the race both naive and excited about the marathon up ahead.  I had only the bar set at Ironman Louisville to hit or dip below, and I had already slashed a lot of time, so I started the run stress free.  Except for the lead logs below my waist, I felt awesome.  Luckily, I had a tremendous support team for this race, and they were stationed right where I needed them, near the “Run in and out” portion of the three loop course, so I would be seeing them six times throughout the day which was like tackling the leprechaun with the pot of gold. 
 

The course travels up and around the farmland of Windsor, California where many locals lined the streets along with their horses and cows to cheer us on.  The course was flanked with trees along the difficult hilly sections, and wide open to sunshine during the character building straight away section leading up to the turn-a-round point.  I had no idea where I ranked among the masses that were trodding along with me, but I felt good considering it was 2:30 in the afternoon and I was just starting out on a marathon.  I noticed many men, and not very many women, which is par for the course for triathlon, but somewhat annoying; come on ladies, let’s rally and build up our numbers!  Anyway, I am certain my pace was not swift, but I was happy all day long.  I was so thrilled to have so much family cheering me on, that I just wanted to finish as quickly as possible to spend time with them.  I did add on some time because of necessary pit stops three or four times throughout the day, but since this was only my second ironman, I was still learning a lot from my hard-working bod on race day, and was giving her the attention she required. 

I cherish this race because it was the end of my innocence as a triathlete, because after I crossed the finish line with a forty four minute personal best over my time at Louisville, I was flooded with delusional dreams of becoming one of the elite.  My family did not aid in bringing me down to earth at all, they were so proud of me, and boosted my ego to the heavens. We all celebrated an evening of pure bliss back at our rental fueled by pizza, beer, and ice cream.

Marion, Hannah, and our dogs loaded up our truck and headed home that following Monday.  It was a lovely, but a knawing eight hour drive down the coast as I planned and plotted my next race, and training plans.  I had crossed over from spirited athlete, to obsessed goal setter.  All I could think about was what I needed to do to qualify for Kona, what race I should sign up for, how much I should train, etc.  Miraculously, Hannah slept through my crazed jabberings most of the trip, but Marion listened and just lent fuel to fire, professing there was no reason I could not become a pro, in fact there should be no excuse why I shouldn’t, and challenged me to go for it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment