Friday, April 18, 2014

#20 - Ironman Arizona - Part 1: Road Trippin' With My Mom


As the air SoCal air started to cool from late Summer to Fall 2010, Ironman Arizona was quickly approaching and I thought up an opportunity for some amazing mother daughter bonding, “Hey mom, do you want to drive out to Tempe with me a couple of days before the race?”  Marion would not be able to miss work to drive out with me, and I wanted a partner in crime if any funny business came up.  Also, I thought it would be a wonderful chance for my mom and I to spend some uninterrupted time together, and nothing spells out QT than a road trip in the desert.   

My mother has four children, and had to schlep us all over the planet to zillions of practices, games, meets, cheerleading competitions, etc., for the better part of her adult life, so I figured why not one more sporting event where she could just relax and come along for the ride.  Thankfully, she said, “yes,” yay!
 

My mom is the most beautiful woman I know.  Marion is very excited about his future, because lucky for both of us, I look a lot like her.  However, there is much more to my mother than her gorgeous exterior, she is brilliant, hard-working, and an eternal optimist.  More importantly, she has been a tremendous role model to both me and Mary, because after my parent’s divorce she went back to college, while raising four children between the ages of 8-16 on her own, and became an award-winning high school English teacher.  I have to admit that I used to find it aggravating when she picked me up from Junior High hours after the bell rang because she had to work, but I was always proud of her, and grew to appreciate my after school adventures in the library.  I now completely understand the heroics it took for her to hightail it from work thirty minutes away from my school in order to pick me up, because in turn I have had MANY nail-biting moments racing up the 405 freeway from my old office in Santa Monica to pick up Hannah from Daycare in Encino during rush hour traffic, not fun.  I am one lucky girl to have had her in my corner through years of intense club soccer teams, broken basketball dreams, and the current pep infused phone call I make before every marathon, my mom is simply the best.

My mom’s house is on the way to Tempe, so it was easy for me to swing by and pick her up before we headed east for our mother/daughter adventure in the desert sun. Throughout the six-plus hour drive, my mom and I talked about current events, my brothers and sisters, and lots of triathlon Pro talk. I told her all about Hillary, naturally, as well as the greatest triathlete of all time, Chrissie Wellington.  Chrissie had won the Ironman World Championships in Kona from 2007 – 2009, however she had to bow out on race morning in 2010 because she was incredibly sick, but vowed to make her come back at Arizona, which meant we would be on the course together!  The following morning when I was in line for packet pick up, my mom was standing just a few feet away under a tree, when a sinewy, tan and ripped arm slid in front of me and said to the volunteers, “Can I check in quickly, I have to hurry on to the pro panel.” I turned toward my mom, my eyes bugging out of my head, heart pounding through my small-chested chest, and mouthed, “That’s Chrissie.” She laughed, understanding right away what a HUGE moment that was for me, and told me later in her classic, adorably sentimental voice that seeing Chrissie was a sign of exciting things ahead for my race. 

I could never convey to my mom how special those two days and nights were for me to spend with her, just the two of us, in Tempe, AZ before the most significant race of my life.  I had not only physically prepared for this Ironman, but I had invested time, energy, money, mental and emotional fortitude in pursuit of this singular goal, and to have my mom there with me gave me breath in my lungs to enjoy it all. 
 

 

1 comment: