Tuesday, September 9, 2014

#31 - Honkers marathon - It's All Coming Together...


 I chose the Honkers marathon in Anaheim California as marathon #31 because its timing slipped in nicely with my aggressive schedule, it was small, only about 100 people ran it the first year, and the race director had just finished her quest to run 50 marathons by the time she turned 50, so obviously I felt we were kindred spirits. The name Honkers comes from the Canada geese, aka., “Honkers”, that set up home along the Santa Ana River Trail during the winter. 

The race took place on Sunday January 12th, 2014, and I had a slightly ramped up challenge that day because it was Hannah’s first club volleyball tournament of the season, and I really wanted to watch a least one of her matches, so it would have to be a quick clean up after the race and fast drive east to Ontario to watch her bump and set her way to greatness.


I left our house at 4:30A in order to make the 6:00A registration, and 7:00 start time; the freeways were clear at such an early hour, a fleeting and cherished feeling as a SoCal native. I met the race Director a few minutes before the start, she was standing with her two “twenty something” children, she was excited that I chose Honkers to be one of my 35 marathons, and wished me luck as we all made our way up to the starting line.

I was hyped up for too many reasons to mention, but on the top of my list was that this would be my first marathon wearing my Smash Fast n’ Loud triathlon top hot off the rack of my old coach and constant hero, Hillary Biscay’s fashion line. I knew I looked amazing, and hoped that added confidence would give me an edge over my not so dazzling dressed competition; I am sure these girls were fast, but I won “best dressed” hands down. 


The marathoners were mixed in with the half marathoners so I was not sure who my exact competition really was, but I blasted off of the line quicker than usual, and it felt wonderful. My last race was the trail marathon in San Francisco, which was epic, but not fast at all, so this was a real treat to be able to open my stride up and rip it from the start.


I held my pace steady at 7:15minute miles until mile 10ish, and then I started to slow down a bit. The upside was that my energy was up, I had finally figured out a solid fueling plan, after 30 marathons I cracked the code, but I could only hang on to that pace for so long, not even a million Clif Blocks could keep the needle hanging over the red line much longer. At this point I was in 2nd place I believe, but I was a little annoyed when a super-gangly white as porcelain skinned lady running like Rachel in that classic Friends episode zoomed past me wearing shoes the size and shape of cinder blocks and arms and legs flailing all around her like a helicopter. Oh well, I thought, you go girl!

The course wound its way up the bike path for miles, I would like to say there were plenty of water stops, but there were few, and they were VERY far between. I zoned out a bit listening to the buzzing traffic coming from the 5 freeway just off the course, then snapped back into reality around mile 18 when it hit me, I am going to finish in the top 3 today. I was smiling when I passed volunteers, and clapped in awe and sincere respect when the leader passed me at the mile 21 turn around, girlfriend was petite, toned, and at least a decade older than me, and she was movin’!

I passed a couple guys on the last stretch of the bike path mainly because I had more experience than they did, chances are homeboy in the green Umbro shorts had not run half a dozen marathons in the last 6 months, but guess who did? That is what this race was for me, recognition that all of the lessons I had learned from my first 30 marathons were paying off in my 31st.  I ate one Cliff Block every 4 miles starting at mile 5, and then ate a gel at mile 21, and felt strong the whole day. I chased down who I could chase down because I was patient, and knew even from a distance that my pace was faster, and I would catch up and pass them before the finish line.

I felt cool and calculated the whole morning, but leapt out of my sleek façade when I rounded the last corner and finished in 3:23, a very respectable time considering the wear and tear of my legs at that point in my schedule. I placed 3rd overall female, and was congratulated by the race director quickly after I crossed the line. She asked me for feedback, I told her more water stations were needed along the bike path, there was no need to sugar coat it, if I thought it was dry out there, I am sure most of the other runners did, too.


I am not sure if I will ever run the Honkers marathon again, but I am very glad I did. In case you were wondering, I did make it to Hannah’s volleyball tournament, I am sure I was not the sweetest smelling spectator in the stands, but I was there, and thrilled to see her set off the season.   

No comments:

Post a Comment