Friday, January 3, 2014

Marathon #12 = Ironman #1



Hmm, let’s see, where was I?  Oh yes, marathon #12, ooh, this is a good one…. I ran marathon #12 at the end of an already long day outside as it served as the final leg of my first Ironman triathlon on August 31st, 2008.  My apologies for the run on sentence, but I think it represents what a very long day it was.  Let me take you back to about eleven months prior to race day, I had my heart set on racing my first Ironman in Wisconsin during September of 2008, however, when I went to go sign up for that race it was already sold out… I am talking minutes here… To say my heart was broken would be an extreme understatement, but I just rolled up my sleeves and searched a little deeper until I struck gold, or Bourbon maybe, Ironman Louisville was slated for late August, and was open, perfect.  So, I paid the daunting entrance fee and sat back to realize I had a little over a year to prep to be an Ironman, good times.   

I mentioned in a previous post that I was inspired by my brother Peter to become an ironman, so naturally I went straight to him for advice on training, his advice was, and I am paraphrasing here, “You need to be in the saddle all the time.” Got it, I need to ride my bike a lot. I launched into my true training schedule about twelve weeks out from the race, which was basically the beginning of June, and one may wonder how I could have gotten all of that “saddle time” in while working twelve plus hours a day? The simple answer is that I quit my job. “Whoa, whoa, whoa, what?” Yep, it’s true. I have been trying to think of a way to put in writing why and  how we made that decision, Marion and I, because honestly it was almost more him than me, he really wanted me to have the proper time to train for the race, or just not do it at all, which was not an option.  However, the real answer is that A LOT went into my decision to quit my career, let’s be honest, that is what happened, but I will leave the nitty-gritty for my book, and leave you all with the idea that I left to devote all of my time to training and becoming a triathlete superstar and go pro within a year or so, which is kind of true, but not all true.

The training for the race was amazing.  I was doing at least two work outs per day for three months and followed a crude training plan that is comical in retrospect, but sufficient, and I made it to Louisville confident I would be able to finish the race with a smile on my face.  The swim was hysterical, but awesome.  I am not a great swimmer, so when I saw that I met my goal time I was stoked, and ready to crush myself on the bike. 

Oh, the bike… I know that I go on and on about my love for running, and yes I do believe that I am a respectable runner, but riding a bike is really my strong suit.  It could have something to do with the fact that my legs make up nearly 80% of my body, and never give me any Smart-alecky back talk, so I made up a lot of ground on the bike leg from my less than stellar swim performance, and was in a great spot to start the marathon.  **In case any of you don’t know the distances of an ironman triathlon, they break down like this: 2.4mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, 26.2 mile run, which means that when I started my twelfth marathon I had already been “working out” hard for eight hours in the hot, and humid late Summer Kentucky sunshine.

When I ran out of the transition area Marion yelled at me, “Now just go run your usual four hour marathon!” I can’t remember if I laughed out loud at him, or just to myself, either way I thought it was the funniest thing I had ever heard, bless his heart.  There was no way in the world I was going to run the marathon anywhere near four hours, or was I?

The first couple of miles they sent us over the bridge across the Ohio River, and you know what, I was feeling pretty good.  The course consisted of two loops, and was flanked with a great crowd most of the way, and top notch support with aid stations at every mile stocked up with water, wet sponges, hoses, food, and flat coke.  I chatted with a few fellow runners along the route, and even though I was not moving very quickly at all, I felt like I was flying.  I had never felt so in my element; and alive, months of hard work and sacrifice had come down to these moments, and they felt priceless.  The sun had set at around mile twenty two, and it was nearly, not quite, but nearly dark when I rounded the final turn toward the final shoot into the finish line set up at 4th Street Live, the epicenter of Louisville nightlife.  I crossed the line hearing Marion, my Dad, and Hannah cheering for me, even now I am tearing up, so I probably was then, too, because it the greatest experience of my life, so far.  The crazy part was that I felt good, great even, and was smiling from ear to ear, I was an Ironman. 



My finish time was 12:52 and change, about an hour faster than my goal time, and my marathon split was 4:28, not a PR marathon time of course, but I knew I could do better next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment