Monday, January 27, 2014

Marathon #14 - A Shout Out to My Big Sis


Dreamy Carlsbad, CA or as my friend Molly used to call it, “Carlsgood”, either way it is a wonderful place to be, let alone run around for most of your morning, but that is exactly what I did on January 25th, 2009. I arrived in Carlsbad the night before the race and stayed with my sister Mary, her wonderful husband, Jim, and their adorable dogs Sawyer and Tyler.  I am always a sucker for quality time with large four-legged doggies, and these two are hilarious. 
 
 
Mary is two years older than me, and a remarkable human being, but we could not possibly be more different.  For example, she is a beautiful 5’6 brunette with olive skin, and a fashion sense rivaled only by Anna Wintour, while I am a freckly red head just shy of 5’11 who applies make up and dresses maybe five times a year.  Maybe.  We had some serious battles growing up, one of which resulted in me laying a strip of masking tape down the center of our bedroom, my mom really loved that, another involved a bruised cheek, and there have been way too many bruised feelings to count.  However, we always set aside our differences for sixty minutes every Thursday night at 8PM to watch Beverly Hills, 90210. My brothers thought that show was miraculous to bring peace between us, and it was.  Nothing beats quality togetherness like some quality time with the Walshes.

Nevertheless, after twenty or so years of not liking each other very much, I can easily say that Mary is one of my best friends, and the person on the other end of my crisis hotline.  All that said, Mary is not a runner, which may not come as a shock, but she is literally my greatest cheerleader, and understands my goals, so it meant a lot to have her play a vital role in my fourteenth marathon


Race morning was cold, dark, and early. For some reason this race felt special, I was not as excited for it during the weeks of training leading up to it, but standing below the starting line in the pitch darkness of a way-too-early start time, with thousands of fellow marathoners, I was brimming with adrenaline, and thrilled to start running, “Bang!”

The first ten miles or so of the course travel along the ocean, and since the race started early, we were witness to a beautiful sunrise that gave me both a jolt of energy, and clarity; I was simply happy to just have the ability to run a marathon, and felt blessed and thankful to be in my shoes at that beautiful moment.

I saw Mary and Jim around mile eleven, a great place to watch for you future spectators because it is far enough into the race to give the runners the pep we need to feel good about how far we have come, and enough zing to keep us trudging through the tough mid-race miles in our near future.  Mary was wearing a big sweatshirt, clanging a bell, and screaming her head off, it was awesome. I was both laughing and crying because it was amazing to hear her scream my name in such a positive tone.  She did look a little tired, but it was about 8:00AM, so I appreciated her efforts to rise, shine and run with me.  Yes, Mary Kelly Heim was actually running next to me for a good minute or so, it was epic!  I have always wanted to make her proud of me, even when she thought I was a disgusting troll of a little sister always getting in her way throughout our formative years, and literally making her sick to her stomach because I smelled like baby oil and coconut, apparently, her sudden desperate display of running to keep up with me that morning granted my wish of over thirty years, my big sister was proud of me.

The next few miles were warm as the sun was truly making an entrance to the day, but I felt good up until mile nineteen.  There is a turn-a-round point right at the crest of a short, but seemingly steep hill, and it was rough.  Luckily, there is a solid crowd at this difficult spot on the course, so I heard many chants of my name as I rounded the top, and thundered on down to run the final seven miles into the finish.  My pace had a slowed a bit, which is natural so deep into a marathon, but I was still cranking out some quick miles, so I held on as long as I could, and cruised into the finish shoot stunned that I had once again qualified for Boston in 3:38…  NiceJ
 

No comments:

Post a Comment